Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What I'm Playing: Week of 9/13



I hit up GameStop with some trade-ins this past weekend. I was surprised at just how much I got for the three games I traded ($42.00). I usually am shocked at how low the trade in value is on most games, but this wasn't the case this time 'round. I also had a $25 gift card that I earned from one of my various survey sites. So this is what I left the store with:

Left 4 Dead 2 (Xbox 360):
I mainly bought this because my little brother just bought it and I have been wanting to have a game that I can play with him online when he is not over here visiting me. I played the first Left 4 Dead long ago, and while it was fun, I just couldn't get too into it. I think that it's too simple of a game for me. I heard great things about the second game, but was still unsure if it was up my alley. I've played through 4 campaigns so far and although I enjoy the game, I find I have the same problem that I did with the first one. There just isn't too much to do! I prefer games that have a certain level of customization whether it be through alloting skill points, or upgrading weapons. There is none of that in L4D2, but it is still fun to play. It's very similar to the first game in that all you do is rush from safe room to safe room while obliterating hordes of zombies along the way. Enjoyable, yes, but the lack of depth bores me after about 45 minutes of gameplay. I have been told that the true fun lies in multiplayer modes, and have yet to take it online to verify that. I did play some co-op with my husband and brother. That was pretty fun, but the same repetitive gameplay. I'm just glad that I have a big enough television that makes playing split-screen bearable. And for some odd reason I really like to play as Ellis, I think it's his redneck voice that gets me.  Overall I'd give the game a B.

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (PS3):


I also picked up Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction. I have no idea what took me so long to get into a Ratchet in Clank game, but after renting A Crack in Time from Blockbuster Online last month, I came to realize just how good this franchise is. So I decided I was going to play all of the games from the series, but in no particular order. I'm just getting into this one and I can already tell you that I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. I am actually finding it funner than A Crack in Time because the gameplay varies so much throughout the game.  Aside from the very fun platforming, the game incorporates third person shooting, as well as puzzles. The graphics are delicious and I read somewhere that this was the first game that really gave you the feel of playing a Pixar type film. That couldn't be more true. The game came out in 2007, but the slick colorful graphics look like it could have come out yesterday. It's hard to rate a game that I'm just getting started on, but if I had to I'd say an A- so far.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree about Rachet and Clank. It's a really fun game and I have several in the series. Right now I'm also working on playing the A Crack in Time and I'm almost done. I hear there's a new one coming out soon too, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete