Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Falling in love with television again....oh how I love Verizon Fios!


About a year and a half ago I was faced with the ultimate tease when  a neighbor informed me that Verizon was planning to install Fios in our neighborhood. At that point in time I was trapped into subscribing to cable, phone, and internet through Time Warner. I say trapped because that was literally my only option as satellite dishes are not allowed in my apartment complex. Upon hearing the exciting news I instantly began hounding Verizon's sales line for an ETA as to when I would be able to subscribe to Fios. Unfortunately it wound up taking longer than I expected, but the day that they started tearing up my street to install the fiber optic lines was a very exciting day for me. But...it was not near as exciting as the day that a customer service representive knocked on my door offering me an AMAZING deal on all three services.

The rep was prepared to to work his magic and show me the ways that Fios would change my media habits. My eagerness made his job very easy that day as I quickly signed up...contract free! About a week later the service men came and installed phone, internet, and fiber optic television throughout my apartment. It took a couple hours since the service was brand new in my building, but boy was it worth the wait. As soon as they had cleaned up and given me a little lesson on how to use my remotes I was good to go.

The first thing I noticed was that the picture quality was stunning. I have heard other cable and satellite companies claim they had the best picture, but Verizon had it in the bag! Next I moved on to tinkering with my multi-room DVR. The ability to record programs in the living room and watch them in other rooms is fantastic! As I flipped through my on screen program guide I began to notice a ton of channels that I had never been able to recieve through Time Warner. Much to my delight I now had some of my favorite channels in HD (Vh1, MTV, Bravo, just to name a few).

Later on I really began to explore all the wonderful Fios features and to my surprise I was even able to update my facebook feed right from my television (I used this feature to let all my friends know that I now had the best television service EVER). What really got my attention was the widgets. I had never experienced this function with other cable services. I found the WeatherBug widget to be my favorite from the get go, and I still consult it daily to get a heads up on the weather.

My surprise did not stop there because I soon discovered my favorite feature of Verizon Fios...the media manager! Ahhhhhh! I had been streaming videos in the past through my Xbox 360, and to be honest it was not always so successful. But I quickly downloaded the media manager on my desktop pc and within minutes I was transferring my video files to stream without a hitch straight to my Verizon set top box. I still use the media manager on a daily basis.

So, you see why I would be so excited to finally have the best television service in my home. Pair all these wonderful features with the unarguably lightning fast internet and I am in heaven! Did I mention that I also have an app on my iPhone that allows me to use it as a remote? Because I do! And when one of the kids manages to make the regular remote vanish, I resort to my app instead of tearing the house apart in a desperate rush to lower the volume on Yo Gabba Gabba.

I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Verizon FiOS blogging program for a gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment